---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Brian Screaton
Date: Fri, 18 Sept 2026 at 11:32
Subject: Letter from Bill Mann
From: Brian Screaton
Date: Fri, 18 Sept 2026 at 11:32
Subject: Letter from Bill Mann
I came across a letter from Bill and thought that I should share it. Could you put the following on the website and FB, along with the attached scan of the letter? Many thanks.
A Letter from Bill Mann
Whilst sorting through some old papers relating to the rescue of the War Memorial Boards, and the raising of funds to pay for their renovation in 2007, I was surprised to come across a letter from Bill, dated 12th February of that year. I wondered why I had kept it, but when I got to the third paragraph, I knew exactly. Remarkably Bill recalls when he first met me 'after break on a Friday at Elbow Lane for Physics', forty-seven years previously. I have no memory of this, and it's incredible that Bill should remember me, a very quiet and shy pupil, after all those years.
I have made a scan of the letter, but in case it is difficult to read, it goes as follows:
Dear Brian,
Herewith a small contribution to the War Memorials Appeal. I hope the appeal goes well. I find it very sad that the two boards were removed from the walls of the entrance Hall at COLS (Downing Drive) and were then 'dumped' in the boiler room. The young lady responsible for their recovery has kept me informed as she likes a drink and a 'fag' in the Dove at lunchtime when I am having a meal - without alcohol!
I hope the Wyvernians' plans will not be affected in the longer term by the news in the Mercury last week that Age Concern may be forced to leave Clarence House as the City Council have raised their rent to almost £100,000 per year!
Does it seem 47 years since we first met after break on a Friday at Elbow Lane for Physics. When one views the tape of old School Films many memories flood back particularly DJS blowing into a manometer.
With every good wish and with appreciation of your contribution to the Wyvernians.
Regards,
Bill Mann
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.